1.24.2008

Defense Mechanisms

Where were these things

When I was younger

These defense mechanisms

Seem to ripen with age

What used to be

Such empty clutter

Now there are props

To a rather grandiose stage

Velvet curtains hid my

True intentions skewed

The fancy lighting

Seems to brighten beige

Which is my creativity

Lost to open sea

Raped of all its uses

Now I’m empty

Devoid of thought

Wrapped in ancient gothic cloth

So no one can ever see

How useless I’ve become

How scared and cast aside

My naivety has taken its toll

And I’m naked underneath it all

A scared little girl

Thrown out in the world

But given no means to survive

No wings do I have

To fly from this nest

So I must crawl instead

Thank god for illusions

I’ve cast mine well

Smoke and mirrors and such

Thick trimmings

And lighting and fancy technology

It’s new to me

Where were these things

When I was younger

These falsities

Seem to ripen with age

No comments: